- Don't click on any links that you are not familiar with.
- Always type our URL directly into your browser. Look for the padlock icon next to our URL to ensure you're on our secure site.
- Check your transaction details (including payee name, amount and account numbers) when making transfers. If anything is unclear, best to check with the recipient before you make the transaction. Better be safe than sorry!
- We'll send you notifications about your bank and Debit Card transactions. You can also check this in the app's home screen and your eStatements. Get in touch with us immediately if you see something suspicious, we're here to help!
- Don't use public WiFi when you're accessing your bank account or using your WeLab Bank app.
- Be careful when sharing your personal information on social networking platforms or social media. Information such as your name, email address, date of birth and mobile number may be used by fraudsters (aka "bad guys") to compromise or steal your identity.
- Don't leave your mobile unlocked when you're not around. We suggest you tap "log off" to close the app.
- Be careful about sharing your mobile phone with others. Don't try to log into your account from someone else's phone.
- Setup auto-lock and use a passcode/biometric lock to prevent unauthorized access to your mobile phone and its content.
- Don't install apps onto your mobile from unknown sources other than official sources like the Apple App Store or Google Play Store. Make sure you understand the permissioning requirements for each app before you install them.
- Remember to install updates and patches on your mobile phone as they're released.
- Use updated anti-malware apps on you mobile phone to keep it secure.
- Don’t use a rooted or jailbroken mobile phone. This removes a very important protection layer that guards your data and device from mobile threats.
- Don't use SMS forward services.
- Clear your browser’s cache, especially when using public or shared computers.
Security Tips for Password Enforcement
- Change your password regularly.
- Don't store your password on your mobile devices, write it down or share it with others.
- When creating your password, don't use personal information such as your name, birthday, phone number, ID number, ATM PIN.
- Follow our in-app advice when creating your password and mobile security PIN.
- Do not forward any one-time password that we send you.
Security Tips for WeLab Debit Card
- Do not share or write down your card information, whether physically or digitally.
- Keep your card safe in a secure location and avoid leaving your card exposed and unprotected.
- Report to us immediately if your card or mobile device is lost or stolen.
- Double check your transactions and report any discrepancies immediately - you can do so through your in-app transaction history or your monthly statements.
- When using your card in an ATM, stay alert on any unusual external object/devices attached to the ATM, as these may be devices used to steal your card PIN.
- Do not add your WeLab Debit Card to any mobile and digital wallets that do not belong to you.
- Use only reputable websites when making online purchases.
- Be discreet when using your card credentials to avoid any unauthorized people from finding out your card details.
- Use an RFID-blocking protector to prevent defrauders from scanning sensitive data from your card while standing close to you.
Security Tips for OpenAPI
- Never share your account details or login credentials with any unauthorized third party. WeLab Bank will not disclose any of your personal and account information without your consent.
- Before you choose to use any products or services from Third Party Services Providers ("TSPs"), please be aware that the TSPs may not have the same privacy standards and data storage standards as the Bank. You should also ensure that you have read and understood the TSP's service agreement and are aware of the information it requests and the permissions you are granting to it to use that information.
- When you choose to use TSP App, please download the TSP App from official sources, such as Apple App Store or Google Play Store to prevent fake App.
- Please watch a short video clip from Hong Kong Monetary Authority regarding "Using banking services via websites/applications of third-party service providers": https://youtu.be/igHxqJGRXLI (Chinese version only).
- We will periodically update the Bank's website with the list of our official TSP partner(s), please visit our website regularly for the latest information. If you are unsure whether a TSP is authorized by the Bank, please contact us via 24 hours customer service hotline (852) 3898 6988 for more information.
Beware of fraudsters
- You may receive calls claiming to be from WeLab Bank and for instance, inviting you to apply for a personal loan or a credit card, or even requesting you to provide any sensitive personal information (including your bank account number, user name, login password etc). We do not notify customers of account irregularities through pre-recorded phone calls nor request customers to provide sensitive personal information through SMS or email. If you receive a suspicious call, don't panic! First step is to try to authenticate the caller by asking for their department name and office number as well as how they got your phone number and account information. If they are unwilling to share this information, hang up the phone!
- You can visit https://www.hkma.gov.hk/eng/smart-consumers/beware-of-fraudsters/ to learn some smart tips from the Hong Kong Monetary Authority on fraud prevention when dealing with bogus calls, fraudulent SMS and emails.
- Contact us via 24 hours customer service hotline (852) 3898 6988 immediately if you have shared any personal details with the caller give them the caller's phone number and any kind of information that was shared. If you shared your password to the caller, change it immediately.
- To safeguard your interests and personal privacy, please keep your sensitive personal information safe at all times.